Wednesday, June 17, 2009

4th Edition, Again!


Oh yes, somebody tried to sell me the 4th Edition of Dungeons and Dragons today on the WotC boards. I told him to relax and calm down. Basically, 4th Edition is the current incarnation of the game, but really is it worth it to buy? Seriously, I ask myself this. Why buy a system that could change in the next year?

I have realized that there is more to life than playing Dungeons and Dragons; especially when it has become a game that keeps on changing every 2 years. Dungeons and Dragons follows all the trends, but now it's gotten out of hand. Looking at the History of Dungeons and Dragons, the game has gone from the iconic RPG to one that follows trends in RPGs. This is because I've heard that they are working on 4.5. And the game isn't even 2 yet!

So, what am I getting out of Dungeons and Dragons, playing it? So far, I made myself a social outcast. I mean really, I am a social outcast for much of my life. I either took life too seriously, or I found it to be too oppressive on myself. Or I was making myself into a victim, when in fact I create my life.

Looking around, I really don't like the results. Unmarried, hardly any friends except family and ward members. No girlfriend. And living with my parents and brother, who I question their ability to love me. Maybe I don't feel inspired, or I take on too many unproductive tasks for charity. Maybe, I lack inspiration lately. Maybe I fear marriage in a way, thats why I'm not taking any action towards that goal. Heck, I have enough RPGs to last a lifetime, and I don't want to get into the RPG race any more.

I'm not giving up RPGs, heck no! My favorite activity -- Worldbuilding -- is closely linked to it. Worldbuilding is the funnest, most beautiful ART in the Universe! I love doing it! I absolutely love worldbuilding to it's very core! It excites me to use this exciting knowledge of everything I have!

When I am building a world, I am in "the Zone." It's where everything clicks and I feel very, very happy. In fact, when I was adapting Eberron to Rolemaster, I felt happy. After all, I managed to stat out 14 different Martial Arts for use in Rolemaster! YAY!! And I did it in three days, YAHOOOO! The Force is with me, very, very much.



So, I feel unfulfilled, uncontent. And really, I didn't need a 4th Edition Fanboi to really make me feel explaining my feelings about Dungeons and Dragons. And you know what, he didn't. The Fanboi said all the flavor is in the system, after I said that flavor is more important for the DM and the players to fill and create. Because, it really is up to the GM and the players to create the feel of your game. Anyone who says different is selling something.

"4E will make your game better! It can do everything you want it to do!" Oh please . . . I don't really need that. I already know that Dungeons and Dragons is severely limited to what I want it to do. It's up to me to fill in the cracks and the spaces that D&D misses.

But what I need now is not the newest Roleplaying Game System to come out of Wizards of the Coast, especially when its going to be made obsolete already. What I need is something more lasting, something I can count on being there. Something I can get joy. Or rather, Someone. Isn't LIFE wonderful?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Close
You don't need someone. You have the entire planet of people to talk to, The sound of the universe to keep you company.
Don't worry about relationships. They are co-dependency arrangements about how to use your energy for their benefit.
Stick with your own game system and let the marketing people at WOTC play their own game - but don't give them any more money. That's the best idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...