Friday, December 4, 2009

Atlas Games' Occult Lore

Making up a campaign setting has made me revisit my work and the work of others in the Atlas Games' book Occult Lore. Occult Lore, in my mind, is the definitive piece of work on myriad traditions of magic for d20 for a low fantasy to heroic fantasy game.

My favorite articles are:
  • Alchemy
  • Astrology
  • Elementalism (gee, you think?)
  • Herbalism
  • Oneiromancy
Looking at it strongly, the work we did on Occult Lore was so blatently medieval or Renaissance themed that you'd have no choice but to think that what we did was for a low powered game. And the spells I wrote for Elementalism ranged in power from dinky to Godlike. Compare colored smoke to comet and you will see what I mean. So, why the walk down memory lane? I wanted to add a few things to my Campaign Setting.

After all, it was neat what we did. I am greatful to Atlas Games and their support when we worked on the project. And I'm grateful to God for the opportunity to bring my ideas together under one book, and that most everything I did is open game content.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...