Thursday, March 4, 2010

My movie Recommendations

These are all movies that give me that glowing "RPG" moment, moments where I have flashes of Creativity.  I say, if a movie can do that, it's doing its job.  Okay, this is in no particular order.





1. Clash of the Titans (1981, 2010 is like . . . hopeful).  This movie gave me my second "RPG" moment. Clash of the Titans, a movie about the Myth of Perseus, is perhaps the best movie I've seen.  Even if the Animatronics the Master Ray Harryhausen had worked with is dated.  Perhaps it was the monsters, perhaps it was the story, but I had my first "RPG" moment here.  I wanted to live the adventure I witnessed at such a young age.





2. Jason and the Argonauts (1963, 2000) I got my first very first RPG moment from this movie.  The movie is about the Argosy.  It's a classic RPG campaign.  Boy gets nearly killed, grows up, helps Hera across the river and loses a sandal, gets recognized by the king, promises to go on a perilous quest, assembles a crew which includes a woman and a transboy -- and the mightiest man in all Greece, goes sailing, nearly gets crushed, meets a beautiful girl, circumnavigates Europe . . . blah blah blah.  Yep, this story is a great RPG campaign.

3. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010) I saw this today.  I Enjoyed it.  Because, somewhere between the Fury and Hades Palace I got the feeling that this would be a great RPG campaign.  I started dreaming up lots of monstrous encounters and suddenly the Olympian campaign felt fresh and wonderful to me.



4. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1982).  I must have gotten a deep desire for D&D Basic while watching this series (linked "The Dragon's Gift" -- anything with Granamyr is top notch!). This series made me want to roleplay He-Man and his adventures.  That was after I was reading the D&D ads in the comics, I'm so hooked!



5. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2001).  This movie was made by D&D fans.  And the voice actors had lots of fun.  And yes, I got a "RPG" moment from this movie.  Need I say more?

Part 2 coming soon!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...